Don't be afraid to try to make yogurt for your family. You will find that it is rich and creamy and easy to make. You can make yogurt with a yogurt maker or in The Instant Pot, but if you don't have those fancy gadgets, it is still very easy to make your own yogurt at home with your fresh milk from the farm. Your homemade yogurt will be naturally rich in enzymes and good for your gut.
Extra Tips & Pointers for Your Yogurt Making
1. Some recipes say to heat the milk to 180 degrees. However, naturally occurring enzymes and bacteria in raw milk are destroyed by too much heat. Destruction of enzymes can begin at 118 degrees.
2. If your milk is hotter than 110 degrees when you add the culture, it will kill your culture, and you will not get yogurt. I know from experience. :)
3. You can use yogurt from another batch as your culture starter. Add 1/2 c. to 1 c. per gallon of milk.
4. If your yogurt is still a little too runny for your liking, you can dump it into a cheesecloth and let it hang. What separates from the yogurt is whey, which is good for you and can be used in your baking or added to smoothies.
5. To sweeten your yogurt, you can add maple syrup, honey or brown sugar. Our family loves to add black raspberries to our yogurt, but you can also add blueberries, peaches, strawberries or any other fruit that you enjoy.
Raw Milk Yogurt is a REAL SUPER FOOD!
Reply below and let me know your tips and tricks to make delicious yogurt.